I made the best salad tonight for dinner and I just had to share it with you. My mom found it in some magazine (sorry, I don’t know which one), and it is easy, delicious, and best of all, it reminds me of the beautiful summer evenings I spent in Italy. Since arugula, cantaloupe, and prosciutto are at the heart of this salad, I thought my name for it was appropriate.
This salad is ideal for summer, since that’s when many of the ingredients are in season. I like it for a Friday or Saturday night dinner or even a special Sunday brunch. It will impress your guests and it’s so easy to put together.
Italian Evening Summer Salad
Makes 3-4 servings
Nutritional Info: (per serving) 273 calories, 15.3g fat, 22.5g carb, 2.6g fiber, 17.9g sugar, 18.8g protein
- arugula – I used most of one bag, maybe 5 cups
- mixed greens – since arugula is strong, I wanted to add in some other greens to help balance the flavors
- red onion – I used about a 1/3 of the large onion
- 6 oz Prosciutto di Parma, cut thick – imported prosciutto is essential because the taste is far superior
- 1 ripe cantaloupe – I used a Toscano cantaloupe because they are really sweet and delicious, but use what you have available
- olive oil – use good olive oil because it makes a huge difference
- balsamic vinegar
- black pepper, garlic powder, and salt (just a touch) to taste
Remove seeds from cantaloupe and cut into chunks.
Dress salad with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, garlic powder, and just a dash of salt to brighten the cantaloupe. Toss and enjoy!
Does it get any better than this? It’s gorgeous, isn’t it? It tasted just as good as it looks. Actually, probably better. It’s a light summer meal that is nutritious.
A salad for dinner means artisan bread as an accompaniment, at least in my kitchen. I got this one from Trader Joe’s, but you can use whatever type of bread you enjoy with dinner. Or not.
A great meal meant to be shared. My sister and I enjoyed our dinner on her back patio. A beautiful meal, a nice glass of Chardonnay, and great company – I can’t ask for more on a Friday evening. Even though I wasn’t in Italy tonight, this meal definitely transported me back to some of my favorite Italian coastal spots.