Since we’re about to begin the eighth month of the year, I thought it was time to do a quick check-in of my 2012 goals. I’ve made good progress on some of them, and others have become a bit less of a priority.
Green = Completed/well underway
Yellow = on hold until after surgery
Red = No progress yet
- First and foremost, I will lose the required pre-op surgery weight to qualify for VSG through Kaiser. Great progress so far.
- Going along with #1, I want to lose at least 50 pounds in 2012, although I know if I get the surgery early enough in the year, this number can be more like 75-100 pounds, which blows my mind. But I’ll keep this conservative, for these purposes.
- I will make time for working out 5-6 days a week, even when I’m stressed out and exhausted. Life is filled with frustrations sometimes, but I won’t let that excuse become an obstacle anymore. I will look at working out as “me time,” a time when I’m doing something so good for me and my health. Because I love moving my body once I start doing it, and I love the sense of accomplishment I get from it afterward even more. This has been going great this summer. The key is going to be once my schedule changes when school starts. I can’t let stress or obligations make me throw this out the window, because I really do enjoy exercising.
I will meet Scale Warfare over the summer in Vegas. She and I are still working out the details of when, but it WILL happen, and I cannot wait.Neither one of us could afford it this year, but it’s still a future goal.
- I will stop trying to control everything. At my core, I’m a control freak. I like things neat and organized, which is a good trait, especially at work. I can take command of any classroom, meeting, presentation, etc. But I also like people to do the things I think they should, which isn’t always so good. I’m not that way with my friends, but with my family, I can be unrelenting, or so they’ve told me. I think of myself as “helping,” but they see it as bossy or critical. So I want to try to “live and let live” a little more when it comes to my family. I’ve been working on this, but I’ll have to check in with my family to get their feedback.
- I will read more books in 2012. I’m an avid read, but this year I only read 19 books in all of 2011, which is unacceptable. I know the problem is that I am online too often, especially before bed when I used to read. So beginning tonight, I am going to put the iPhone down and make sure I read as I go to sleep. I also want to set aside at least 1 hour per weekend and devote it to reading. I love TV, but there has to be more of a balance, especially because I have tons of amazing books just waiting for me on my Kindle. I’m doing great on this one so far; I’ve read 16/30 books.
- I will learn to crochet. As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I used to know how to crochet, but it’s one of those things that you can get out of practice very quickly. I’ve signed up for a class on January 22nd, and I’m really looking forward to it. There are several projects I have in mind already, including a Chemo cap for Knots of Love and a baby blanket for the Linus Project. I don’t want to abandon my crocheting goal, so once the weather cools down, I want to get back into that. Crocheting is more of a cool weather activity, because of the heat of the yarn on my lap. Plus, you don’t use a lot of blankets/caps/scarves in the summer months, right?
- I will make a scrapbook of my weight loss once I have surgery. Yesterday I thought the cost of scrapbooking might be a bit too prohibitive, but several of you encouraged me to give it a try, and BeautyJunkie824 even told me she had materials to share, so I think my first book will be one about my weight loss after surgery. That way, I can work out all the kinks on something that I’m going to keep. I want a gift to be as perfect as possible. Plus, I know the book would become a source of inspiration for me as I go through the ups and downs after surgery.
- I will begin C25K training once I hit 230 lbs. This was one of my goals for this year, which I didn’t accomplish, so I’m going to carry it over to 2012.
- I will run a 5K before the end of 2012. See goal #9.
- I will start a savings account in earnest. With budget cuts and salary reductions, it’s been difficult to make ends meet, and I’ve had to cut back quite a bit this year, but I know that I can start saving, even if it’s a little bit each month. Because those new clothes aren’t going to buy themselves!! Plus, I have people to meet and places to go, and traveling costs money, so I’ll be that much more inspired to save up. I’ve been putting a *little* bit away each month, but nothing that will make a significant difference. It’s more like a “rainy day” fund, and right now it’s a pretty short day.
- I will continue to be more social. I did a fair job of getting out there this year, but in the past 5 years I’ve become more of a homebody, even though I love being out and being around people. 2012 is going to be the year that I am more socially active. I’ve gone out quite a bit this summer and seen lots of my friends. Even though I avoid going out to eat, I’m finding that there are still a lot of things I can do to be social (movies, coffee, walking).
I have to admit that I’ve made a lot more progress on these goals than I realized. (Which is why writing update posts like this good to do from time to time). I’m really happy with how far I’ve gotten on most of these.