- I am so excited! I woke up early this morning (because it was payday) and booked my flight for Hawaii!! After a lot of searching and decision making, I settled on non-stop flights each way on Alaskan Airlines. I paid more than I would’ve if I wanted settle for 1-stop, but I decided my time was worth the extra money. Not to mention the ease of travel. I’ve heard great things about flying on Alaska to Hawaii, and now that I’ve purchased the tickets, it’s really feeling REAL!! 35 more days and I’ll be enjoying views like this:
- Today I go for packet pickup for the 408K race. The cool thing about this race is that I organized a faculty group from my school to participate. I love doing things like this, and I thought that doing something healthy together would be a great way for our teachers and staff to bond. My original idea was that we’d get together to train (walk/run) on our high school track; the problem arose that it was soccer season and the games were on the same field where we have the track. Still, I created a FB group and we all checked in with each other about our trainings. Sharing this experience of doing an 8K (almost 5 miles) on Sunday is going to be a great thing. Since packet pickup is at a popular spot for dining and shopping, I organized a post-packet pickup TGIF, which I’m looking forward to. This has been difficult week back and easing into the weekend with colleagues after school will be a fun way to end it. (I’m still deciding if I’m going to walk this one, or do my run/walk. Most of the faculty are saying they’re going to walk it, so in the spirit of collegiality, I may do the same).
- Even though I’m “just a renter” I take pride in the way my yard looks. Recently two of the trees in front of my house had to be removed because they were deseased, leaving it looking desolate and sad. As I’ve been walking Sofi I’ve been on the hunt for something new to go in the space. I wanted something with color, but also something that would last for years to come. I found this Razzle Berry (botanical name: Lorapetalum) bush in several neighbors’ yards, and I absolutely love it: I like that when it’s in bloom, at this time of year, it’s got this beautiful burst of hot pink, and then when those fall away, it’s a nice green bush with a hint of the hot pink on the leaves. On Saturday I’m heading to the nursery with my dad (and his truck) to buy two bushes. I’m buying them either way, but I’m hoping that my landlord will split the cost with me, since they’ll remain even after I leave (if I leave) someday. (If he doesn’t split the cost, you can bet I’ll uproot these babies in the case that I do ever leave).
- This Sunday I’ve been invited to a BBQ at the home of a friend I haven’t seen in a couple of years. He and I worked together back in 1999-2000 at an internet company and have remained friends (mostly on FB) ever since. I’m looking forward to the party because a few of my former colleagues should be there too. Now I just have to figure out what I’m going to wear. While most of the people didn’t see me at my very heaviest weight, they did see me weighing a lot more than I do now, so I really want to look my best. The problem is, I hardly have any clothes in my closet. So, I guess this means a shopping trip is in the works for me! Fun!! Another reason to look forward to the party. Plus BBQs make food choices fairly easy. Now I just have to come up with a good salad to bring. Any ideas?
- Sunday is a big day (408K, BBQ…) and also the Oscars. I always love watching the Oscars to see what everyone is wearing, listen to the acceptance speeches, and see whether or not the Academy got it right in terms of who they give the awards to. It seems like the perfect way to end a busy weekend.
Friday Five: I Booked Hawaii!
February 28, 2014 by Bella